Real Time Web Analytics

Pages

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Should I add my child's name to the title of my house to avoid tax in the future?

An awful lot of parents have added their children to the title of their homes without getting legal or accounting advice first. In fact, I'm amazed at how many people have done this, given the risks and complications. A reader wrote to me to ask about whether he should add his oldest daughter to his house title. I suggest that anyone who is considering making this move, or has already done so, should read this post for some food for thought. His question and my reply are below:

"I am in the middle of purchasing a residential property. Is there any advantage if I purchase in my name + wife's name and eldest daughter's name. My thinking is for future when we both are not here, then our daughter retains this property without any tax implications."

When considering putting extra names on a title, it's a mistake to focus on just one aspect of the transaction, whether that aspect is tax, probate avoidance or any other concern. You have to look at the bigger picture.

You have to realize that in adding your daughter's name to your home, you are creating a huge risk to yourself. There are a dozen ways in which this could cause you to lose your home, or to lose a substantial sum of money to hold onto your home. If your daughter were to get divorced, her spouse could claim half the value of the house and if she doesn't have the funds to pay this out, you could end up paying it yourself just to stay in your own home.

If you are like most parents, you will stubbornly believe that your daughter will never do anything that would negatively impact you. As a parent, I understand that faith, but as an estate lawyer I know how misplaced it is. There are things that could happen to your daughter accidentally that could cause you to lose your home. For example, if she is sued because of a car accident or if she declares bankruptcy or if she has a business failure for which she has provided a personal guarantee, you could lose your home. It's impossible to say at this moment that none of these things will happen during your lifetime.

You also need to look more closely at your presumption that your daughter will "retain this property". It sounds as if you have more than one child. If you have a will that leaves your estate equally among  your children, you have to ensure that you are clear about whether this house is part of her share. Otherwise it could lead to a dispute among the children.

You may run into the issue of inter-generational joint property. From what you've said, your intention is not for her to own the property but simply to avoid tax issues. Therefore it isn't a "true" joint ownership in the sense that you don't intend for her to own and retain this property for her own use after your death. Your property may be held in trust for the estate until a judge decides on the available evidence whether or not this is a true joint ownership.

Now, to your question about tax implications. If the residential property was owned just by you and your wife, and it was your principal residence, there would be no tax anyway when the property was sold or transferred on your death. So you aren't avoiding any tax by adding your daughter's name.

If it's not your principal residence but is a second property such as a cabin, revenue property or simply a second family  home, then there is going to be capital gains tax on its sale or transfer (assuming that it increases in value) even if your daughter's name is on it.

Let's say that your daughter is single now but gets married, and she and her husband buy a home. You may one day decide to sell your house either because you want to move somewhere else or because you are going to live in a care facility. As your house won't be her principal residence, her share of the transaction will be taxable.

The best people to talk to about taxes are accountants. If you have a chance to discuss this transaction with an accountant, I think that would be a good idea.

8 comments:

  1. I find your blog so helpful, and see how many people unintentionally make lives of loved ones more complicated after they are gone. My ex bought house with his parents and a month latter he passed away. Our divorce had just gone through but we had not reached a settlement, still in courts. The estate belongs to my children but the trustee is my husbands father(not working well he sold properties for his benefit not in the best interest of the children.. long story). Our matrimonial home got passed on to me as the title was joint tenancy. Two questions: My ex bought house and everything in it was paid by my ex, but parents claim that he only had 1% share, and that is the value they used for probate purposes, he made all mortgage payments and paid all the bills for that house,he took out all his RRSP out to pay for the down-payment. What can I do? Can I ask the court that for the stability of the our children, I be allowed to keep the house and (my children 9&11) can have the 50% share in the house that I share with my children. the trustee wants our house sold, Estate has funds but they will be used to pay dept against the estate. I am in trail for divorce settlement in Sept. My children are benefits of his insurance(not part of estate) along with his parents, which he changed just 5 months before his death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment; "Now, to your question about tax implications. If the residential property was owned just by you and your wife, and it was your principal residence, there would be no tax anyway when the property was sold or transferred on your death. So you aren't avoiding any tax by adding your daughter's name."
    yes no sales tax but there is the point about probate "tax" which depending on the province can be large.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynne, I wonder if you can help me with my problem. I live in Toronto,ON. and I don't know if probate fees will apply to my wife, when I pass away. The house was bought under my name only, before I got married. The deed to the house is still under my name. I do have a will naming my wife as sole beneficiary. All our other assets are under joint ownership. Is the will good enough to avoid probate fees? Or do I have to change the deed to the house to joint ownership? The house was bought for $220 000, and is now worth about $500 000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are confused about what a will does. Having a will doesn't cause or avoid probate fees.

      If you own assets in your own name, yes, your wife will have to apply for probate before she can transfer the assets to herself. Having a will is going to make that 100% easier for her than if you didn't have a will, but it's not going to avoid probate fees.

      Having your home in joint names with your wife will avoid probate fees. However, remember that ownership of anything - particularly a large asset - is about more than fees when you die. Lots of things can happen while you're alive, including lawsuits, divorce, etc.

      Lynne

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Lynn. Everything is a lot clearer now, and now I know what must be done.something I should have done years ago.

      Delete
  4. I do have a will naming my wife as sole beneficiary. All our other assets are under joint ownership. Is the will good enough to avoid probate fees? thank you for this information, it is helpful

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, my spouse and I co-own a house. Her brother wants her to co-sign on title for a rental property to which my spouse will have no beneficial interest. How would her co-signing with her brother affect our joint ownership in our personal property and could it put our assets at risk?

    Ps. I really like your article

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am on provincial disability in bc. I was living in ont, where I purchased a home. I became too ill to live alone in it any more so I came to live with my son in bc. I want to transfer ownership to my son because I am not allowed to have this property and not live in it. I have tried to sell it for a yr and a half. It is causing me problems with "the system" out here and aggravating my illness. How can I give this house to my son? cheaply?

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails