Real Time Web Analytics

Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Current top ten posts all in one handy package


The following are currently the top ten most popular posts on my blog. I keep an eye on this because as you may know, I'm preparing an Alberta Probate Kit for Self-Counsel Press. I believe that the more I know about what questions people are asking, the better the Kit will be. It'll be out in early 2011, so stay tuned for that.

I've put in links to each of the top ten articles so you can just click and read:

1. Can an executor distribute estate assets before getting the Tax Clearance Certificate?

2. Should you downsize for retirement?

3. Should an executor get a tax clearance certificate?

4. Joint tenancy vs. tenants in common

5. What is the executor's year?

6. Where are the executor police when you need them?

7. Are co-executors liable for each other's actions?

8. If you're appointed as an executor, should you accept?

9. What are an executor's duties?

10. How do I get a tax clearance certificate?

4 comments:

  1. Now that I have completed all the probate forms, I have spent half an hour searching the ALberta Court of Queen's Bench website to no avail as far as how to physically file for probate. There is NO information, no phone number, nothing. There is no specific number in the phone book either.
    My Probate package from the Queen's printer has no info either. I finally called the Court and was twice given another number to call. IT SHOULDN'T BE THAT DIFFICULT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your book, some guidance on Form NC7 would be helpful. I can't find any info on how specific I need to be on listing assets, in my case, financial assets. Do I need to list the name of the bank, the account numbers, the value of each individual investment, or do I just say cash and investments and give the total?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that info on Form NC7 would be helpful. As a matter of fact, I've devoted a full chapter of the new book to it. I've included where to get values, what information to include, how to deal with joint assets, how to deal with tax on RRSPs, and more. The book has gone to the publisher and is in the works and hopefully it will answer questions for people like yourself who really need answers.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hope, I suppose this information isn't front and centre because the majority of probates are filed by lawyers, who presumably know where and how to file. I agree that the information should be easily accessible to the public. In case you haven't found your answer yet, in Alberta, probates are filed at the Court of Queen's Bench. In Calgary and Edmonton only, there is a separate counter in the courthouse that deals with Surrogate Matters, which includes probate, so you would go to the Surrogate Court counter (it's a division of Queen's Bench). In all other centres, just go to the Queen's Bench counter. Take your original documents, signed by the executor, together with the original Will, plus a photocopy of everything. Give it all to the clerk. He or she will take a look at it, and if it seems fine, will keep the originals and put a stamp on your photocopy with the date and a court file number. You will pay a fee of somewhere between $25 and $400 depending on the value of the estate. If your documents are not ok, the clerk will give them back to you and ask you to make corrections. Once everything is acceptable to the clerk, he or she will send it off to a judge. This process usually takes a matter of weeks. I hope this helps.

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails