Real Time Web Analytics

Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Movies about older adults active in the dying process

As regular readers of this blog know, I encourage families to talk to each other about the tough topics that are part of estate planning. This is a lot easier when there is nobody in the family in immediate danger of passing away, but unfortunately an awful lot of people don't act (or speak) until there is a pressing need.

I recently found a post by Karen D. Austin, who blogs at The Generation Above Me, that I thought really needed to be shared. Ms. Austin has made a list (with clips) of films that feature older adults who are actively involved in the dying process. I haven't seen all of these films myself, but I plan to see as many as I can. They are works of fiction, not documentaries, and to my mind that is the perfect way to illustrate the emotions, twists of fate, and attitudes that come up when someone is nearing the end of his or her life.

As Ms. Austin says, "These works might help viewers prepare for the death of a parent, a spouse or another loved one." Perhaps they would work as a springboard into a conversation you need to have with someone while you still have the chance.

To see the list, please click here. It was originally posted in 2012 but was updated in December, 2014.

If anyone has seen any of the films mentioned on the list and would like to leave a comment about it for the rest of us, please go ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails