Real Time Web Analytics

Monday, March 21, 2011

Can a parent appoint a guardian for an incapacitated adult child?

Parents of incapacitated children don't always realize that once their children become adults, the parents no longer have legal authority to act on behalf of their children. Depending on financial and other circumstances, the parents most often have to take steps to have themselves or another person named as legal guardians and trustees for child. Click here to read a short article about this by Rania Combs, a lawyer in Texas.

It's important to realize that the parents themselves can't appoint anyone. Only a judge can do that. The parents can apply themselves to become the guardians and trustees. They should also name an alternate person who can take over the job when the parents have passed away or lost capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails