Real Time Web Analytics

Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Canadian Legion in new fight over white poppies

The National Post has a story today about the sale of white poppies by the Ottawa White Poppy Coalition. They say they are selling white poppies instead of red because the red poppy represents the nostalgia and romanticizing of war. 

I remember reading Wilfred Owen's Dulce et decorum est back in high school and thinking that there wasn't a single glorious thing about war. So it's not that I'm particularly romantic or nostalgic for the good old days of young men dying and everyone else living in fear and worry.

I think the white poppy group has the meaning of the Legion's red poppy all wrong, if their position is as stated in this story. I believe it's worn solely to honour those who made the ultimate sacrifice so that we can enjoy the life we now have. My grandfather served in WW 1 and survived. His brother Harry wasn't so lucky, and died at age 19 at Beaumont-Hamel. I wear the poppy for them. Not because I think their actions were romantic, but because I'm grateful.

Click here to read the story. The attached photo is of my grandfather, JE Butler, standing in front of the War Memorial in St. John's, Newfoundland, with his four children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails